IAAB YAR Fellowship offers Study Abroad in Iran (Applications Due 2/16/2015)
The Iranian Alliances Across Borders (IAAB), a nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging and empowering Iranian-American youth, develops programs that invite young Iranian Americans to reflect on their shared history and their place in the Iranian diaspora while working toward building solidarity across differences in a historical and global context. In this spirit, IAAB is excited to announce the launch of the YAR Institute (Youth Advancing Research) and fellowship, to include a study abroad program in Iran.
IAAB’s YAR Institute is a yearlong fellowship designed for advanced college students (third and fourth year), graduate students, and recent graduates. The YAR Institute includes virtual courses taught by leading Iran scholars, a three-week full-immersion study abroad program in Iran that will take place in June 2015 and one-on-one mentoring that will hone Fellows’ expertise and result in the production and release of transmedia projects and op-Eds.
IAAB’s YAR Fellows will:
- Gain advanced skills in digital literacy by publishing multimedia projects that narrate a new and more complex understanding of Iran;
- Participate in a cross-cultural research experience with leading Iran scholars in both Iran and the United States;
- Join a community of like-minded students and explore a space of critical inquiry into contemporary Iranian society;
- Intern with an NGO, business or entrepreneur of their choice through IAAB’s vast network.
Visits in Iran include:
- Cities of Ahvaz, Hameda, Isfahan, Shushtar and Tehran;
- Tehran University and Tehran University of Art;
- War battlefields in the south and west of the country;
- Meetings with veterans, women’s rights activists, students, civil society activists and artists.As relations between Iran and the West, specifically the United States, are opening, IAAB is in a unique position to be the first national Iranian-American organization in the United States to undertake this fellowship given our previous work in Iran.
Learn more about YAR: http://iranianalliances.org/students/yar/Learn about the YAR Institute Internship and IAAB Internships: http://iranianalliances.org/blog/2015/01/07/intern-openings/
Scholarships and financial assistance are available. Applications are due February 16, 2015.
This promises to be an exciting fellowship program for the next generation of scholars and leaders informed and educated on Iran. We hope that you share information about the YAR Institute with your students and colleagues. Please do not hesitate to share your questions and feedback.